Keys of Change
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An AU Kingdom Heart/Final Fantasy world in the midst of a war ravaged world, where keyblade wielders find themselves as tools of war or fugitives of the state

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Three Teeth are Better than None

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Xaldalneir
Admin
Xaldalneir

Three Teeth are Better than None Empty
PostSubject: Three Teeth are Better than None   Three Teeth are Better than None I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 23, 2017 10:28 pm

Fort Kyllian was a dull assignment, of that no one could argue. Though the presence of the Valanthus made it a nigh impenetrable fortress, that only meant that no enemy force tried. That wasn't to say that they weren't prepared for such an event. Malcolm had long prodded the base commander about running a simulated exercise where the Fangs would try to breach the command center of Fort Kyllian, capture a flag, and escape to test the base's security. And now he had finally received his permission.

The Fangs were camped two days out from Kyllian, and they had been for about a month. When he had given permission, Malcolm doubted General Ironwood had thought that the exercise would last almost a month. Above all else, however, Malcolm wanted to win. They had spent weeks studying the fort, watching how guard rotations and patrols had changed. Soon, so very soon, they would be ready.
Back to top Go down
https://keysofchange.rpg-board.net
Mistress Lani

Mistress Lani

PostSubject: Re: Three Teeth are Better than None   Three Teeth are Better than None I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 7:44 am

Lia had taken to lounging in the trees she spied from them, her eyes idling over the landscape. No one would dare to track them down, of that she was sure, but even still, she had retained the habit of needing to be some sort of lookout. They were still wielders, still soldiers, still Fangs. Looking over at Malcolm, she raised a brow at him, confused and concerned by the whole endeavor, in part because they'd stayed out here for so long. "You realize that if we succeed it means that our security at the fort is lacking, right?" It wasn't terribly long ago that she never would have spoken up in such a way. She'd grown bolder, in light of their relationship, their increasing numbers, or simply because she was bored.
Back to top Go down
Xaldalneir
Admin
Xaldalneir

PostSubject: Re: Three Teeth are Better than None   Three Teeth are Better than None I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 6:30 pm

"If they can't repel us, then how do they hope to stand against a force like the Royal Guard?" He asked, pulling a pair of binoculars from his eyes, looking up at her.

Freya, meanwhile, tended their camp, keeping watch for any beasts that may approach, or any soldiers sent looking for them. She had become quite proficient with her bow, such that Malcolm felt no sense of danger in leaving her on her own.
Back to top Go down
Mistress Lani

Mistress Lani

PostSubject: Re: Three Teeth are Better than None   Three Teeth are Better than None I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 7:31 pm

The White Fang shook her head, staring off into the distance as she thought and waited. "And what would you do, under the 'unlikely' circumstances that we lose?" She had her own doubts about their success. It wasn't that she wasn't confident in their abilities, and he certainly had a point that the soldiers had probably grown soft from the lack of action. Really, it was more that they were facing the entire fortress and by now, surely, they were prepared for a breach. Surely...
Back to top Go down
Xaldalneir
Admin
Xaldalneir

PostSubject: Re: Three Teeth are Better than None   Three Teeth are Better than None I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 8:15 pm

"Firstly, I will be very proud of our men. Secondly, I will probably never live it down. Thirdly, drink myself into a coma." He said in answer, jotting something down on the small notepad he had brought with him, where he recorded everything he saw.
Back to top Go down
Mistress Lani

Mistress Lani

PostSubject: Re: Three Teeth are Better than None   Three Teeth are Better than None I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 9:23 pm

"You would literally heal the alcohol out of your system the second you drank it. You'd never reach a blackout, let alone a coma." She said the words as if they were fact, though she knew the love-hate history Malcolm and alcohol had.
Back to top Go down
Xaldalneir
Admin
Xaldalneir

PostSubject: Re: Three Teeth are Better than None   Three Teeth are Better than None I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 9:28 pm

"I suppose we'll find out tonight." He said, slipping from the branch he used as a perch and landing without difficulty on the ground some 20 feet below.
Back to top Go down
Mistress Lani

Mistress Lani

PostSubject: Re: Three Teeth are Better than None   Three Teeth are Better than None I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 9:33 pm

With her partner gone, she shifted to a crouch, scanning the entirety of the visible area one final time before following after him.
Back to top Go down
Xaldalneir
Admin
Xaldalneir

PostSubject: Re: Three Teeth are Better than None   Three Teeth are Better than None I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 9:37 pm

They made their way deeper into the forest, eventually making it to their campsite. Freya sat beside a small log fire, looking up at them both and smiling as they appeared from the trees. Malcolm came up to her and gently ruffled her hair, causing her to stick her tongue out at her surrogate father.
Back to top Go down
Mistress Lani

Mistress Lani

PostSubject: Re: Three Teeth are Better than None   Three Teeth are Better than None I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 9:40 pm

Lia greeted her with a warm smile and a gentle hand at her back, rubbing it as she observed the girl's actions. "Anything unusual happen while we were gone?"
Back to top Go down
Xaldalneir
Admin
Xaldalneir

PostSubject: Re: Three Teeth are Better than None   Three Teeth are Better than None I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 9:42 pm

"I saw a momma bear teaching her cubs how to fish!" She said, pointing up the stream they were camped beside. "It was really cute." Malcolm eased himself down beside the campfire, going over his notes, though not without a smile as he listened to the two of them.
Back to top Go down
Mistress Lani

Mistress Lani

PostSubject: Re: Three Teeth are Better than None   Three Teeth are Better than None I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 9:52 pm

Lia laughed a bit to herself, "Well, we certainly aren't adopting any bears, especially not right from under their mother." The words were a bit of a teasing note, a gesture intended for comedy rather than any seriousness. Though, of course, they certainly weren't getting a bear.
Back to top Go down
Xaldalneir
Admin
Xaldalneir

PostSubject: Re: Three Teeth are Better than None   Three Teeth are Better than None I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 9:56 pm

Freya feigned a pout, but nodding. "fine..." She then turned her attention to Malcolm. "We've been camping a long time. Is it almost time to attack?" She asked. She had been excited when he'd told her they were playing capture the flag with the whole base, and had even made sure that all of her arrows were dulled and covered in foam, so that they would leave little bruises instead of hurting the troops.
Back to top Go down
Mistress Lani

Mistress Lani

PostSubject: Re: Three Teeth are Better than None   Three Teeth are Better than None I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 10:04 pm

"His call." Lia said almost absently, though she knew the question had already been directed his way. She set her own attentions on eating before they set out.
Back to top Go down
Xaldalneir
Admin
Xaldalneir

PostSubject: Re: Three Teeth are Better than None   Three Teeth are Better than None I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 10:10 pm

"It is." He told the both of them, flipping through the last few pages of his notepad before looking up at them both. "Eat, and get some sleep. We'll be leaving tonight."
Back to top Go down
Mistress Lani

Mistress Lani

PostSubject: Re: Three Teeth are Better than None   Three Teeth are Better than None I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 10:14 pm

Lia didn't bother to question him, knew better and knew her orders. She wasn't sure how much sleep they'd be getting, but in the end, the exercise would be good for everyone involved. Especially, she figured, Freya, who seemed to find joy in the prospect of it being a game. It was reasonable, certainly; how much had the world stolen of the girl's childhood, afterall. Saying nothing, she set about obeying orders, drifting towards Malcolm to snuggle up beside him.
Back to top Go down
Xaldalneir
Admin
Xaldalneir

PostSubject: Re: Three Teeth are Better than None   Three Teeth are Better than None I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 10:17 pm

He wrapped an arm around her as she drew closer, letting out a soft sigh as he leaned into her.
Back to top Go down
Mistress Lani

Mistress Lani

PostSubject: Re: Three Teeth are Better than None   Three Teeth are Better than None I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 10:25 pm

There was an easy comfort in his embrace, a feeling that felt both natural and sincere. It was an odd sensation, even now, to feel beneath his touch, though she minded it not. At times, she mused that she was like some crazy, lucky fan that had been chosen by her idol. Other times, she bothered not to think on it or question it at all. It felt right. It felt like home. She didn't need anything else.
Back to top Go down
Xaldalneir
Admin
Xaldalneir

PostSubject: Re: Three Teeth are Better than None   Three Teeth are Better than None I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 10:29 pm

Freya looked at the two of them, smiling just slightly. In just a short time, she had come to think of them as the parents she never had. Of course, that wasn't the total truth. She was well aware that she was some sort of soldier now. It just didn't matter, not when her partners were these nice people, this man and woman who treated her like their own daughter.
Back to top Go down
Mistress Lani

Mistress Lani

PostSubject: Re: Three Teeth are Better than None   Three Teeth are Better than None I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 10:35 pm

"Make sure you eat." Lia said, as if on cue with the girl's thoughts. The words were said almost half asleep, as though she didn't actually realize she was speaking them.
Back to top Go down
Xaldalneir
Admin
Xaldalneir

PostSubject: Re: Three Teeth are Better than None   Three Teeth are Better than None I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 24, 2017 10:38 pm

Freya gave a nod and a smile, taking one of their pre-packed rations and opening it, starting to eat her dinner.

Malcolm watched her with a smile, before starting to move from Lia, making his way to his tent. It was set further away from the other two, partly so he could stay up late, and partly so that if Lia wanted, she could sneak over to his in the night.
Back to top Go down
Mistress Lani

Mistress Lani

PostSubject: Re: Three Teeth are Better than None   Three Teeth are Better than None I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 25, 2017 8:20 am

She watched after him as he left, but chose to stay where she was until after Freya was tucked into bed. Lia was bored, yes, but not so much so that she'd randomly pass out. "Do you think you're ready?" She asked the girl tenderly, measuring how much longer she would stay up by how much of her ration remained.
Back to top Go down
Xaldalneir
Admin
Xaldalneir

PostSubject: Re: Three Teeth are Better than None   Three Teeth are Better than None I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 25, 2017 9:42 am

Freya was poking at the last bits of her food, smiling up at Lia. "Yep! All of my arrows are safe, and I've been practicing with my magic so I won't hurt anyone or anything too bad."
Back to top Go down
Mistress Lani

Mistress Lani

PostSubject: Re: Three Teeth are Better than None   Three Teeth are Better than None I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 25, 2017 10:35 am

She offered a warm, small smile at the girl for her words. "Between Malcolm and I, we can make up for any flames you cause."
Back to top Go down
Xaldalneir
Admin
Xaldalneir

PostSubject: Re: Three Teeth are Better than None   Three Teeth are Better than None I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 25, 2017 10:44 am

Freya finished her ration, and then put the empty container in a bag she had been using for garbage. "I'm gonna nap before we go." She said, smiling and standing. "Night Lia!" She said brightly, before easing into her tent.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Three Teeth are Better than None   Three Teeth are Better than None I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Three Teeth are Better than None
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keys of Change :: The World :: The Verdant Plains-
Jump to: